I’m finally getting into the habit of taking a ‘proper’ camera with me everywhere I go.

I recently took delivery of a new camera body (Fuji X-T3) and decided this was a good excuse to get into the habit of taking a camera with me whenever I leave the house. I have paired it with a 35mm (52mm EFL) manual focus lens and am keeping a speedlight in the hotshoe so that I can add fill light whenever needed. Finally I have packed in my camera bag a couple of other key items: a bounce card for the flash and an extension cable to allow me to move the flash off camera. Oh and spare batteries of course.


One of the self-criticisms of my work on this project to date is that I’ve tended to take one, maybe two, pictures of each glove I found. I’ve now set myself the (admittedly arbitrary) challenge of finding at least 10 different compositions per glove.

This is my first attempt at ‘working the scene’ to this extent:

Again like the last lot I posted, I don’t think these are necessarily candidate images for the final set… it’s more a case of getting into the right habit and mindset, I think.


Following my recent musings on whether or not the ‘pure found / undisturbed’ nature of the subject matter was critical or an unnecessary limitation, I had lots of feedback from fellow students which boiled down to: experiment, try new things, see what works.

To this end, while there was some nice winter light this afternoon I positioned a colourful glove in a nearby tree in an aesthetically-pleasing way and snapped away from various vantage points.

Reviewing the set afterwards I was immediately drawn to the last one.


Though taken within just a few minutes of the others, the particular angle gave a completely different interpretation of the low sunlight – it became a very autumnal, brown-toned scene. A touch of flash on the glove helped to separate it from the background.

My learning here is this: previously I’d have stopped way before this version, and would have been satisfied with one of the earlier shots – but taking the time to work the scene, and to follow the variations in light and composition, really paid dividends.

Since restarting taking glove pictures over the last couple weeks, this is the first photo I’m really happy with. I could see it making it into the final set.

Perseverance pays off!