This weekend (15–17th March) I am on the OCA study visit to Format Festival in Derby, and on the Sunday there is a group crit session to which I plan to take my work-in-progress.

Process notes

I decided to take 10 images to the crit session. I think by Assignment 5 and/or SYP the full series might be more like 15 to 20 images (Assignment 3 had 21 pictures, though that was in a small book format) but as a work-in-progress snapshot I think 10 is a nice round number that gives a reasonable taste of the concept and execution.

I shortlisted 16 images that I printed out small and moved around on a tabletop until I had what I felt was a workable sequence. Printing small is an interesting technique I’ve previously used as it focuses the vision on basics of composition, colour blocking, form, light and shade. I generally want good figure-to-ground contrast in the images.

I got down from 16 to 10 reasonably easily, looking at a combination of factors such as colour palettes, vantage points and what I could describe as ‘gestural signification’ (i.e. the hand shape formed by the glove). I also knew which images I wanted to start and end with, so the remaining eight needed to fall in line between these two poles.

I did however then go back after the above shots were taken and swap out the third image, and reverse the order of the eighth and ninth.

Of the 10 images, I already had nine of them re-photographed in the projection format that I’ve been experimenting with of late, so I set up the projector and camera and photographed the 10th.

contact sheet 1

Then I worked on matching text fragments (short descriptions of things that I remember having forgotten) with images, as the text pairings are a key part of my communication intent. I returned to the Assignment 3 version which used 21 text-image pairings, and selected 10 that represented a reasonable mix to get the idea across. The way I did this was quite simply to write on the back of the small prints.

IMG_0307

Then it was down to adding the text onto bordered versions of the images in Photoshop.

(click for bigger)

While I have decided – for now – on a text position (underneath image, on the bottom line of the border, I remain undecided on the typeface. I have narrowed it down to two, and have printed five of each. Typeface choice will therefore be one of the points on which I will be requesting feedback.

With both fonts I am aiming to assist my intended reading (i.e. that viewing these images has a sense more like remembering than simply looking); the handwriting font has more of a sense of me scribbling a ‘note to self’, while the ‘old newspaper’ font just has a kind of ‘past-ness’ to it that really appeals to me with this work.

Printing

It’s amazing how different the work can come across when it is printed out rather than on a digital screen. When work is printed, I think you can get a much better idea of which aspects or individual images ‘work’ (or not, as the case may be).

I’m pleased and relieved to say that I believe the current work looks good printed!

IMG_0306.jpeg

I’m printing at A3 as I really think they benefit from being viewed large so that one can see the difference in detail between the projected scene and the glove; I want there to be a kind of uncanny sense that the glove is somehow in a different dimension to the rest of the scene, and this works far better on paper than on screen.

OK, this is starting to feel more real.

Wish me luck!