I’m inching towards completion. I got good feedback from my Level 3 Hangout group for the draft edit I showed them a couple of weeks ago. I’m now satisfied that this is the set of 15 images I wish to submit for the conclusion of Body of Work.

In order to move to the point where I can submit this to my tutor, I have three steps to complete:

  1. Finalise the images
  2. Write a short introduction to the work
  3. Write the 1500-2000 words of evaluation of my whole BoW journey

This post addresses the first point and I have another post coming up today addressing the second. I have been thinking a lot about the third but have yet to commit it to writing.

Finalising the images

The set of 15 images from the last couple of draft edits has survived to the final edit.

What I have done in the last couple of weeks is tweak the format, play around with the sequence a little, and replace a couple of the text fragments that are paired with the images.

Format

The overall look of the images is largely as per the last draft: images on a light grey background with text in bold serif typeface split onto two lines. The thinking behind the light grey backdrop is that I want the text to be seen as an integral part of the work, but without it actually overlapping onto the photographic image itself. Without the backdrop the text floats beneath the image and resembles a caption, which is not my intent. I chose grey in this context as it is a subtle allusion to memory and ‘grey areas’.

The small changes I made for this version are simply to make the grey lighter by reducing the opacity more, and to add a thin key line around the whole grey box. I added this after print tests, as I’d like there to be a decent handling border for assessment but also want the boundary of the image itself to be clearly delineated. This led to the ratio of the finished shape to be slightly different, to reflect the size of photographic paper I intend to use.

Sequence

I felt the sequence lacked a ‘rhythm’ and wanted to introduce certain repeating motifs in a kind of tempo throughout the viewer’s journey through the set. Specifically, I wanted to space apart the five text statements that referred to verbal actions, i.e. things I’d forgotten to do – the ones that start with the word “to“, e.g. “to take the money out of the cashpoint“. These felt different to the rest and so I placed them equally apart throughout the series as a form of rhythmic pattern.

A secondary consideration was that I wanted to start and send the series with a glove image, the first being the cleanest and most pristine image and the last being the grimiest and least clear – this was to bookend the set in an indication of narrativity. The remaining two glove images were spaced apart in the middle of the series, again as a kind of internal tempo to the sequence.

Text pairings

I have a longer list of 20+ potential text fragments to use for pairing with the images, and I revisited the longer list to see if I was missing any tricks. I considered the relative mix of short term memory lapses (what I went upstairs for, to finish making a cup of tea etc) and longer term lost memories (old addresses, people’s names etc), and realised that I hadn’t included as many of the latter as I’d thought.

As a result, I swapped out a couple of the text lines with forgettances that go further back in time (“all schoolfriends that haven’t yet found me on Facebook” and “whether we’ve met“).

Adding in these text fragments felt to me as though it gets across the sense of different kinds of forgetting that I was aiming for with this concept.

Here is the proposed final sequence:

Next steps

Next I will write up my process for arriving at the proposed introduction text.

Then I will tackle the evaluation…