I have my feedback tutorial with Garry later today and presuming no dealbreakers (there shouldn’t be, as he kindly sent me preliminary notes in advance) I will start going public with the outputs of my SYP publication tomorrow.

The virtual exhibition portion of the publication is going live tomorrow (Friday 11th December).

After feedback from my tutor and some study peers I started to share their concerns about one particular aspect of the virtual exhibition: the wall colour.


My original choice of wall colour was driven by three factors:

  • A preference not to have a clichéd white / light grey gallery space
  • Picking out the green tones of a number of the images (and the association with nature, given the idea that this was a kind of ‘memory walk’ round my semi-rural home town)
  • The fact that the Art.Spaces platform has a very limited selection of colours, and only one green!

So I never loved the shade of green but learnt to like it, or at least got used to it. However, once my tutor queried it, and half of my study group admitted they weren’t super-keen on it, I began to see their point.

My tutor’s advice was to go neutral, so the white or light grey that I had initially avoided. I mocked these up:

I still find both of these a little bland and uninspiring. On a study group video meeting I was encouraged to share my screen and try other colour options. The one that won unanimous approval was a darker grey (‘anthracite’):


This meets the criteria of being neutral without being clichéd. For me it avoids being too sombre by the central platform that is in a lighter grey. And I didn’t realise until afterwards but the shift from green to dark grey here mirrored a similar decision I made recently to change the masthead colour on the catalogue:

I made a few other slight tweaks. The title decal colour needed to change to contrast with the new wall colour. Also I had a correction to one of the supporter acknowledgement names.

I believe the virtual gallery is now ready to go live, but will listen carefully to any final feedback from my tutor later today.


I mentioned in an earlier post that having overshot the funding target I had found enough extra in the budget for some postcards. They arrived today and they look (and feel) great!